When Should You Clean Your Air Duct?
The truth is – you should have your air duct cleaned when you feel the HVAC system isn’t working at the right efficiency, there are odors, or you suspect a foreign object is obstructing the air flow in your home. In our experience, that takes 2-4 years between cleanings for air ducts in apartments / houses. For commercial properties, it highly recommended to inspect the ductwork and HVAC system every year and clean ducts if needed. In general, in office buildings, educational premises, malls and other commercial properties. It is advisable to clean the air ducts every three to four years – the same as in residential housing.
The first and most important reason to clean your air ducts, if you are going in to a new home. If you haven’t lived there, you don’t know what is in the air ducts, and you don’t know how well the former owners treated the air ducts. When considering the costs of purchasing the home, the moving, the move-in cleanup – the air ducts cleaning the least of your costs. And you will at least be certain the air ducts are clean and free of contaminants.
- Hairy pets which spread hair and dander – if you have a beloved pet running around the house and shedding a trail of hair and dander, you should have your air ducts cleaned. The hair and dander accumulate in the air ducts eventually causing it to function less efficiently.
- Allergic or Asthmatic residents in the home – If you or your kids are suffering from allergies or asthma, it’s a good idea to clean the air ducts and get rid of risk factors which may increase the reactions and cause more diseases.
- Fire damage, Water damage or other damage to the home – Has your home gone through serious damage recently? If you have a disaster hit your home, which required restoration or remediation, it’s a good idea to clean the air ducts as well. Even if the air ducts weren’t affected by the catastrophe itself, the air borne particle of the damaged areas and the restoration process are definitely in there.
- Restoration or renovation – In accordance with the above section, if you just had a part of the house rebuilt or renovated, an air duct cleaning is a smart move to get all the debris and dust out of your home.
- Indoor smoking – the last reason, which is pretty important especially if you have kids. In general, smoking in closed areas is a bad idea, so try to smoke as little as possible, and if you do smoke inside – at least make sure the room is well aired.
Choose Wisely, Benefit More
By choosing the right company to clean your air ducts you will get more benefits, and not just the cleaner air duct system. You will receive good and honest service, professional and knowledgeable staff, and you will have someone to talk to for any issue or needs you may have with your air duct cleaning.