Evaporator coils are an important part of an air conditioning system. It’s a good idea to do the evaporator coil cleaning regularly for several reasons:
- Dirty evaporator coils reduce efficiency. As dust and dirt build up on the coils, it inhibits their ability to absorb and transfer heat. This makes the AC system work harder to cool the space, reducing its efficiency and increasing energy costs.
- Clogged coils can lead to freezing. If the evaporator coils get clogged with dirt and debris, it can block the flow of refrigerant and cause the coils to freeze over. This prevents the AC from cooling and will require a service call to address.
- Clean coils improve airflow. When coils are clean, it allows for maximum airflow over the coils and into the space. This improves the cooling effect and circulation of the air conditioning.
- It extends the lifespan of the AC unit. By keeping evaporator coils clean, it reduces strain on the system and helps prevent premature wear and tear. This can extend the operational lifespan and useful life of the air conditioner.
The best ways to do the evaporator coil cleaning are:
- Use a coil cleaning brush or brush attachment to loosen dirt and debris.
- Apply a coil cleaning spray or solution and let it dissolve the built-up grime.
- Rinse the coils thoroughly with water to remove any remaining dirt and chemical.
- For stubborn dirt or in hard to reach areas, you may need to use a professional coil cleaning service.
performing regular evaporator coil maintenance, ideally once a season, will help keep your AC system running efficiently and effectively.