Black mold, or Stachybotrys atra, has a reputation for being fatal. This is due to reports that black mold was related to infant deaths in the 1990s. It’s also been linked to the idea of “sick building syndrome” and is often called “toxic black mold.”

But there’s no solid evidence proving that it is toxic. Any type of mold in general, is not deadly.

Still, it can cause unwanted side effects, especially those in people who are sensitive to mold. This includes people who are young, old, or have compromised immune systems.

Special precautions need to be taken with black mold at home. Even a minimal exposure  during the removal process can lead to severe health issues for you and your family.

Below are some health issues which may result from exposure:

  • Chronic coughing and sneezing
  • Respiratory irritation
  • Skin disorders, including rashes
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Headaches

In extreme cases, an allergic reaction to black mold spores can cause vomiting, nausea, and bleeding within the lungs and nose. With the potential effects of  exposure, it isn’t worth it to take the risk of handling the problem without professional assistance.

Some people are more likely to get sick from mold exposure. This includes:

  • Babies.
  • Children.
  • Pregnant people.
  • People with chronic respiratory conditions, like asthma.
  • People with allergies.
  • Older people.
  • People with conditions that weaken the immune system, like HIV or cancer.

In addition to the serious health effects that come from black mold exposure, it isn’t the only reason to call in an expert team to handle a mold infestation in your home. Certified mold specialists are trained in advanced methods to not only safely eliminate mold, but also to identify any hidden issues that you may not be aware of.

Keep yourself and your family safe.

Comments are disabled.