An ozone generator introduces ozone gas into an air duct system which helps eliminate contaminants that reduce efficiency, pollute the air, and pose health risks. Ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent that destroys mold, bacteria, viruses, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), allergens, and other pollutants that build up in air ducts, filters and on surfaces.
Using an ozone generator for duct cleaning offers some benefits over traditional cleaning methods:
- Disinfection and decontamination. Ozone kills a wide range of contaminants at a microscopic level that are difficult to remove otherwise. It disinfects and decontaminates the entire duct system.
- Odor removal. Ozone helps neutralize odors caused by pollutants, mustiness, pet smells, cooking grease buildup and more in air ducts and vents.
- Improved air circulation. By reducing excess debris and contaminants in the ducts, ozone helps improve airflow which leads to better circulation, filtration and climate control throughout your HVAC system.
- Reduced allergen levels. For those with allergies or asthma, ozone helps minimize triggers like dust mites, pet dander, pollen and mold in the air ducts and circulated air. Breathing is easier with less allergen exposure.
Some important things to know about using an ozone generator for duct cleaning:
- Professional installation is typically required for introducing ozone into HVAC systems. DIY attempts could be dangerous if not done properly.
- Choose a high-output ozone generator that is rated for the square footage of your home and HVAC system size. Lower output means longer run times and higher energy costs.
- Run the generator for at least 24 hours to fully circulate the ozone through the entire duct system for maximum effectiveness.
- Vent the ozone generator externally and never run it in an occupied space. Ozone gas can be irritating and even toxic in high concentrations.
- Re-treat ducts every 6-12 months to prevent re-buildup of contaminants due to normal system usage and operation.
- An ozone generator is a proactive solution, but does not fully replace the need for occasional duct cleaning or air filter replacements.
Using an ozone generator can be an effectivemethod for deep cleaning and decontaminating an air duct system when done properly and professionally. It helps create a healthier home environment by removing pollutants that circulate through the air.