What is green mold?

Green mold is an umbrella term that refers to different species of fungi that grow in shades of green. It appears soft and fuzzy or powdery and can have different hues of green. You may have seen green mold on fruits, bread, and many other foods. However, green mold can also grow in wet areas of a home.

Although many species of mold can grow green, the most common are Cladosporium, Aspergillus, and Penicillium.

How to Remove Green Mold

Mold of any type must be stopped at the source—moisture. Fix any plumbing leaks, caulk any cracks in the foundation, and seal flaws at the base of windows to thwart indoor dampness. Since green mold, like all mold, feeds on water and a food source (wood, drywall and clothing, among other nutrient-rich sources), eliminating the moisture problem will bring mold growth to a standstill.

Mold Sickness Caused by Green Mold

Green Mold: Is It Dangerous and How to Remove It | RestorationMaster

Mold can cause a variety of medical problems, primarily respiratory problems. For instance, aspergillus often causes respiratory infections like bronchitis and pneumonia, as well as inflammation of the lungs. Penicillium often causes  inflammation of the lungs.

Some types of mold can cause other symptoms, as well. For instance, penicillium causes allergic reactions in some people that include symptoms like itchy skin rashes and hives. In really severe cases, allergic reactions even include swelling of the throat and difficulty breathing.

If you’re having symptoms you think might be caused by exposure to mold, see your doctor. Let him or her know you think mold might be causing your illness. Medications can help clear up respiratory infections and make breathing easier. However, you’ll also need to have the mold removed from your home in order to prevent symptoms from returning or worsening.

Removing Green Mold

Removing mold, regardless of its color, is a difficult, complex, time-consuming process. Mold reproduces and spreads via microscopic spores, thousands of which can fit onto a surface the size of a postage stamp. When you begin cleaning up mold, these spores are dispersed into the air, causing mold to spread easily to other areas of the home. It also increases the likelihood of inhaling mold spores, causing mold sickness.

To protect yourself when removing mold, you need to block off your work area with large sheets of durable plastic. Many experts recommend setting up negative pressure in the work area to make sure mold spores don’t spread to other areas of the home. You also need to wear protective gear when cleaning up mold, including a face mask, disposable gloves, and disposable hair and shoe covers

No comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *