Your HVAC system has been working hard all year. learn how to inspect your air ducts and determine if it’s necessary or not. The more your system runs, the more dirt and dust can build up inside your ductwork. But before you go spending money on professional air duct cleaning.
Cleaning your duct system has many benefits and it’s recommended that you complete this home maintenance task every 5-10 years. Clean ductwork means better indoor air quality (great for people with respiratory problems). And a more efficient HVAC system (up to 40% more efficient).
Steps Of how to inspect your air ducts
1. When you HVAC system is running, take a look at your air vents and registers. If you see dust and other debris flowing out. You probably have dirty ductwork and a possible clog further down the duct system.
2. For a more thorough inspection, get out your screwdriver and flash camera and head over to one of your vent registers (located on the floor or along the lower parts of your walls). After unscrewing the vent grill, take a look inside.
3. Use your flash camera to get a better look by sticking your arm in and snapping a couple pictures.
4. Rodent droppings and signs of mold are common problems to look for. If you notice dead insects and rodent droppings, you may have an infestation problem, in which case, you should call in an exterminator ASAP.
5. If your air ducts are dirty, but not dirty enough to warrant a professional duct cleaning, you can make some improvements yourself. Watch this video to learn how to clean your air vents and registers: By cleaning and sealing your air ducts, not only will you improve the quality of your indoor air, but also the overall efficiency of your HVAC system. This will result in lower costs, higher comfort, and less sickness. If you don’t know the cause of your respiratory ailments, cleaning your air ducts just might be the solution your looking for.
A Simple Test of Duct System Efficiency
Open a door or a window just 1-2 inches, and switch on the furnace/air conditioner blower. If you notice a significant amount of air coming in from outside, it is a good indicator or indoor air pressure loss. This occurs when ducts are leaking outside the conditioned space.
Professional Duct Sealing and Insulating
Service Champions provides industry-leading Air Duct Cleaning, Air Duct Sealing, and Air Duct Insulating to keep your home clean and energy efficient. Over time, air ducts can become extremely dirty, causing or exacerbating health problems for household. This is especially concerning if there is mold or pest remains inside, which will get released into your home every time the HVAC system is running.